Thank You Chicago for an Awesome 2012 Beer Hoptacular!
A big Beer Hoptacular thank you to all of the attendees, craft brewers, food pairing experts, vendors, musicians, volunteer staff and the seasoned pros at Jam productions and the Riverfront Theater for our most fantastic weekend yet of Craft Beer tasting, Home Brewing, and DIY fun. Everybody was simply amazing and we can't wait to have you all back next year for even more craft beers, more space, and more DIY fun at Chicago's own Beer Hoptacular!
Check photos from this year's craft brew event!
Beer Hoptacular Beer of the Year – 2012 Winners
- First Place
- 5 Lizard
- » 5 Rabbit Cerveceria – Bedford, IL
- 5 Lizard is a creamy and refreshing wheat beer with some spicy complexity and light touch of passion fruit for a delicious and slightly exotic flavor. In Aztec mythology, 5 Lizard (Macuilcuetzpalin) is one of the 5 Gods of Excess(Ahuiateteo) and symbolizes overindulgence and gluttony. 5 Lizard is also considered the deity of dance and sexual desire.
Beer Style: Latin style Witbier
- Second Place
- Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
- » Lexington Brewing and Distilling Company – Lexington, KY
- Award winning Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale is a unique sipping beer with the distinctive nose of a well-crafted bourbon. Kentucky Ale is aged for 6 weeks in freshly decanted bourbon barrels from some of Kentucky's finest distilleries. Subtle yet familiar flavors of vanilla and oak are imparted to this special ale as it mellow in the charred barrels.
Beer Style: American Strong Ale
- Third Place
- Art of Darkness Ale
- » Brewery Ommegang – Cooperstown, NY
- Art of Darkness Ale is deep, dark and magical, with champagne-like carbonation and rich maltiness from a complex recipe of multiple barley and wheat malts, as well as flaked oats. Using no spices or flavorings, Art of Darkness gains all its rich aromas,tastes , and apparent spiciness from the malts and Ommegang's proprietary house yeast.
Beer Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale
How Beer Hoptacular works
Beer Hoptacular is all about celebrating craft beers, Chicago’s beer culture and having fun. For one flat fee you become part of Beer Hoptacular, receive your own souvenir sampling glass to keep after sampling the beers you want from a fantastic selection and cast your vote for your favorite Beer Hoptacular Beer of the Year! Compare beer notes with others, talk beer with friends, hear some music and eat great food too.